19 things I learned before I turned 19:
1. people are not like you. they don’t all have the same beliefs, values, and ideas as you. don’t be surprised when they don’t act the way you would have.
2. be who you are. you’ll never feel good otherwise. and if people don’t like you, they’re not worth having as friends anyway.
3. write often. putting your thoughts on paper helps you untangle and understand them. write for clarity, write with purpose, write for fun.
4. know the power of your words, they leave scars deeper than any wound. think about the effect your words will have on someone, and for how long.
5. the future is scary, yes, but it is also unpredictable. don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it.
6. spend time letting the ones you love know it. you never know what could happen and it’s always nice to know you’re cared about.
7. things are constantly changing and the world doesn’t stop for anyone. don’t insist on standing in one place. embrace change as it comes your way.
8. surround yourself with different types of people. the person least like you could be the one who shows you a part of you that you never knew existed. others can help you learn about yourself.
9. love yourself. even on your worst days. there’s plenty of people ready to drag you down, you don’t need to be one of them.
10. if you find yourself spending nights hating your life, go to bed. no ones life looks good at 2am and chances are things will be brighter in the morning.
11. there are no mistakes only lessons learned. instead of harping on the bad decision spend your energy preventing it from happening again or taking something positive away.
12. be the kind of friend you want to have. small gestures mean the world to someone going through a tough time and being there for someone at 2am will never be forgotten.
13. stop waiting. if you want something, go after it. now. not this weekend, next month, or next year. you’ll only be fulfilled when you’re working towards what matters to you.
14. true friends are very hard to come by. society and self interest have ruined the meaning of friendship and many people don’t know how to be real friends anymore. if you come across one hold them tight and never let go.
15. forgive. holding a grudge only hurts you, not the person who wronged you.
16. no one owes you anything and there are no shortcuts in life. work hard, and when you think you’re working hard, work harder. your success is in your hands.
17. God is the best companion you will ever have. no one else will listen to you rant endlessly and instantly forgive you every time you do something wrong. he is your strength, light, and comfort. lean on him.
18. there is no code to life. it’s not a formula and doesn’t come with a rule book. winning at life means being happy and being happy means doing what you love, not what society tells you to do.
19. look for the good in every day. spend your time being happy and positive. roll with the punches and don’t let anything keep you down. life will be more enjoyable that way.